SECTION G - BAKING
Convener: Natasia Ilkiw 629-3907
Entries in this class will be transferred to trays and wrapped appropriately, at the discretion of the convener. No commercial mixes are to be used in Section G except in Class 29. No machine-baked bread, please.
CLASS YEAST BREADS DIVISION – Pender Island Bakery Trophy for most points Class 1-6
- White bread
- Whole wheat bread
- Yeast bread, A.O.V.
- French bread
- Bread rolls, savoury or sweet, 6
- Cinnamon rolls, 6
QUICK BREADS DIVISION
- Loaf or cake
(e.g. date, carrot, banana, corn, zucchini, etc.)
- Muffins, A.V., 6
- Biscuits or scones, A.V., 6
- Soda bread
PIES AND PASTRY DIVISION
- Pie, dessert or sweet, covered or lattice, A.V.
- Pie, open, A.V.
- Tarts, A.V., 6
- Lemon meringue pie
- Savoury or meat pie, including quiche
- Sausage rolls, 6
- Pastries, A.V., 4
COOKIES, BARS AND SQUARES DIVISION
- Cookies, A.V., 6
- Shortbread, 6 (should not be decorated)
- Chocolate brownies, 6
- Nanaimo bars, 6, A.V.
- Squares, 6, A.V.
Cakes must be 8” x 8” or 9” x 9” square, or 9” diameter. except for decorated cake.
- Cake, un-iced, A.V.*
- Chocolate layer cake
- Un-iced carrot cake*
- Cup cakes, iced, 3
- Coffeecake, A.V.
- Cheesecake, A.V.
- Decorated cake (cake will not be judged)
- Heritage Recipe, A.V., must be at least 50 years old (hand written or typed recipe to be displayed with entry)
* Un-iced means absolutely no icing or drizzling.
GLUTEN FREE DIVISION
HEALTH WATCHERS’ BAKING DIVISION
Recipes need to be suitable for those with diabetic, low fat, low cholesterol or other special dietary needs. Hand written or typed recipe to be displayed with entry.
- Health bread (with yeast)
- Quick Bread/Loaf or Muffins, 6, A.V.
- Fruit crisp or crumble
YOUNG PEOPLES DIVISION
Must be 11-15 years of age on the day of the fair
No commercial mixes
Place ribbons will be awarded
- Muffins, 6
- Best decorative iced cake
- Best un-iced cake
Must be 6-10 years of age on the day of the fair
In general, the criteria for judging baked goods are as follows:
- Cookies, 6
- Muffins, 6
- Iced cake (no commercial mix) Place ribbons will be awarded
The Vivienne Menzies Rose Bowl
Donated by the Pender Island Women’s Institute
For most points in Section G
Pender Island Bakery Trophy
For most points in Section G, Classes 1 to 6
- General appearance ........................... 30%
- Internal appearance or ...................... 30%
- Flavour/odour .................................... 40%