The Farmers’ Institute gratefully acknowledges the following individuals, businesses and organizations for their contributions to the 2017 Fall FairHere are our sponsors :
B. G. Kirby Electric
Coastal Life Realty
Fir Hill Farm
Hamilton Cove Farm
Hoyne's Brewing Company
Pender Island Home Building Centre
Pender Island Pharmacy
Pender Island Waste Management
Poet’s Cove Resort and Spa
Poet's Cove Marina
Port Browning Marina
Raven Rock Farm
Twin Island Cider
Red Ribbon Sponsors
Dog Mermaid Kayak
Driftwood Auto, Marine and General Store
Hope Bay Hop Farm
Pender Island Kayak Adventures
Sea Star Winery
The Recycling Center
Yellow Ribbon Sponsors
Island Girls Eclectic Boutique
Medicine Beach Liquor Store
Pender Island Cab Company
Pender Island Realty
Pender Island Veterinary Clinic
Petals and Paws
Slow Coast Coffee
Vanilla Leaf Bakery
Wag a Day Boarding Kennel
Friend of the Fair:
SECTION R RECYCLING Convener: Davy Rippner, 629-6636
Reduce, Recycle, Re-useThe Pender Island Recycling Society invites and encourages you to enter a Recycled creation in this years Fall Fair. All entries in the Youth or Individual/Family divisions of Section R Recycling must be created using recycled materials. Your final creation may be artistic or functional, or both. Let your imagination be your guide. Prize money is awarded to the top judged entries.
CLASS YOUTH DIVISION (12 years & under)An Artistic or Functional creation: Reuses materials to create something visually appealing or that is useful and serves a function.
CLASS INDIVIDUAL/FAMILY DIVISION(13 years & older, unless part of Family entry) An artistic or functional creation: reuses materials to create something visually appealing or that is useful and serves a function. Choose a division and put your imagination to work. Show the world that Reusing and Recycling can be beautiful. “Trash is the failure of imagination” - Aaron Kramer Three prizes in each division - Prize Monies provided by the Recycling Society Prizes: 1st - $25.00 2nd - $15.00 3rd - $10.00 Judging Criteria
- Creativity and Imagination
- Originality and/or Usefulness
- Structural Integrity
SECTION Q SPECIAL CATEGORIES – 2017 Fair Theme “In Simpler Times” ShowcaseConvener: Class 1 - 4, Barb Johnstone Grimmer 629-3819
CLASS 1. THE BOUNTY of the PENDERSAn artistic display celebrating the bounty of the Penders, containing at least one element from at least 5 of the following 9 sections: Floral, fruit, vegetables, wine and beer, dairy and poultry, food preservation, baking, needlecraft and fibre art, applied arts and crafts. Product of one household, may involve more than one person. May exceed number of elements, only top 5 will be judged for points. No requirement to satisfy the numbers required in the classes. Because of space constraints, display must not exceed 30" x 30."
- Artistic Display .................. 50%
- Individual Elements – using quality judging standards for the top 5 elements…....... 50%
CLASS 2. FROM THE GARDEN TO THE TABLEA presentation of food gathered and/or created from your garden and ready to be prepared as a Dinner for Two. You need to include at least one item from 3 of the four Sections A,B,C and F (Floral, Fruit, Vegetables and Food Preservation) as well as a menu and/or recipe. The presentation must be from one household and include only products organically grown in an environmentally sustainable and socially responsible way. Due to space constraints, the presentation must not exceed 30”x 30.”
Judging StandardsThe criteria for judging “From the Garden to the Table” are:
- 50% quality of produce
- 30% menu with list of ingredients and/or recipe
- 20% artistic merit
3. TASTE DIVISIONYoung and old are encouraged to show what they regard as the tastiest varieties of produce listed below. Please wash for tasting and indicate variety.
- Strawberries, 6
- Blueberries, 6
- Plums, 3
- Pears, 1
- Green Peas, 3 pods
- Carrot, 1
- Tomato, 1
- Melon or cantaloupe, 1
Judging StandardsThis Division will be judged according to taste rather than appearance. Taste refers to flavour: deliciousness, succulence, scent, juiciness, freshness, and maturity.
4. VINTAGE COSTUME CONTEST - **NEW!!***Put on your best 1920's/1930's outfit, whether Sunday best or farm wear. Let's make the Fall Fair grounds look like a throwback to simpler times. All ages may enter this category. Ribbons for first place in each age group; adults (16 and over) and young people.
5. BERRY PIE CONTESTConveners: Brent Marsden and Owen Goertz Made from any type of berries grown on the Pender Islands, in season. Judging will be done with audience participation. Trophy only to be awarded in this class. Pender Island Fall Fair Berry Pie Trophy Donated by Gail Peterson for best berry pie
6. SCARECROWConvenor: Wendy MacDonald Scarecrows must be built from recycled articles, be life-size and have some means of support. People’s Choice Award - Everyone is encouraged to vote for their favourite scarecrow. Ballots and a ballot box will be located outside the Hall in front of the scarecrows. (Generally judged on use of theme –In Simpler Times- creativity and public appeal)
7. 'NU-TO-YU'Convener: Janet Menzies 250-629-6253 All entries to be made, transformed and/or rejuvenated from items from the Nu-To-Yu Store. Adult and young people (15 years and under)
8. FALL FAIR PARADEConvener: Nia Williams 629-2030 Every year the Fall Fair commences with a parade. Why not join in the fun, either as an individual entry or by getting together with a group of friends, to decorate a float? There is no entry fee but there are trophies! Special attention to the theme "In Simpler Times" please. ** Best Children’s Bicycle in the Parade donated by Pender Island Cable TV and Internet ** Best Float in the Parade donated by Gulf Excavating Ltd. **Best Individual Parade Entry donated by Earl Hastings
PRE-SCHOOL & KINDERGARTENConvener: Mary Reher, 629-6431 Exhibitors in Section P, Pre-School & Kindergarten must be under 6 years of age on the day of the Fair. All artwork in this section must be mounted on a cardboard sheet and, due to space restrictions, try not to exceed the dimensions 16”x 20” or 320 sq. in. Only one entry per class.
- Drawing, pencil, pen, felts, crayon etc.
- Painting, acrylic, finger, water colours, oils
- Models - Lego kits. Please present models on a flat surface or box to prevent breakage.
- Play Dough sculpture
- Rock garden, decorative arrangement of plant material in a low container, using mosses, rocks, plants, wood, etc.
- Article made from seeds, shells or other natural materials
- Fresh flower arrangement
- Cookies, 6
- BC Fairs Member’s Choice Category #1
Arts and Crafts: Open to all ages 12 and under.Item: Mini Scarecrow, max height 14” Recycle household materials to create a mini scarecrow to stake or hang in your garden. Wire and string can be used to construct your project.