Do you know a young person who is interested in agriculture and farming? They can apply for the Neptune Navy Grimmer / Ashton Ross-Smith Bursary which is valued at $500. The bursary is awarded by the Pender Island Farmers' Institute to those residents who are pursuing further study in an agricultural or related field, which may include biology, business, accounting, etc. Applications may be picked up at the Gulf Island Secondary School office or a letter of application with resume, transcript and letter(s) of reference may be sent to: Pender Island Farmers' Institute, Box 38, Pender Island, BC V0N 2M0 Neptune Navy Grimmer was born in Navy Channel in 1889, between Mayne and Pender Islands. He was raised on a farm and went to Guelph Agricultural College in Ontario for further studies in agriculture, which he put into practice at his farm in the Grimmer Valley of Pender Island. Ashton Ross-Smith purchased the Menzies "Valley Home Farm" in 1947, renaming it Ross Smith Farm, and he was very active in the Pender Island Farmers' Institute. All student applications are due April 3, 2017. Gulf Islands Secondary Students are to apply through the school. Post secondary applications may be sent directly to the Farmers Institute.
Spring is here and everyone is starting to think about getting the garden ready. Come to Seedy Saturday on Saturday March 19th at the Community Hall from 10:00 to 1:00. Learn about:
- Seed Saving with Dan Jason
- Beginners Gardening with Ben Kadel
- Companion Planting with Roland Maurice
- Pollinators with Lester Quitzau
In the summer of 2015 the Pender Islands Farmers’ Institute asked farmers and food-producers to complete a Farm Survey to help us plan for our future. In addition to our own planning, we wanted input from farmers to inform policy makers regarding the needs, issues and perspectives of our farm community. The results are in and you can read them here Ag Survey Summary 2015. The Farmers' Institute will be working to respond to the issues raised in the survey throughout 2016. Check back for more details about what we are working on. Update: September 2016 We had a very busy year to date, and we worked on increasing the profile of the Farmers' Market through joining the BC Association of Farmers' Markets as well as the Pender Island Chamber of Commerce. We promoted agriculture on the Island through coordination of the annual Fall Fair. We also sponsored a CRD Keyline Design field day/presentation. We are regularly updating and enhancing the website in order to make information more accessible.
FOR JUST $5! BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP...
- You help encourage and support the growing, raising and availability of local food in your area.
- Your purchase of a membership tells us that you want PIFI to work on your behalf to encourage and protect local farmers and farming.
- A membership gives you greater connection and access to the farming communities in your area.
- Your district farmers’ institutes are mandated, by law, to meet with the Provincial government once annually to discuss issues affecting all of us. Your local farmers' institute meets regularly with regional and municipal levels of government in support of small scale agriculture.
- Farmers' Institute members are eligible to participate in the Farmers' Market
- Learn skills by participating with experienced farmers offering mentorships in animal husbandry, building infrastructure, machinery maintenance and repair, etc.