We are gearing up for the 2016 Fall Fair! We need the help of volunteers, community groups, and businesses in order to make the Fair a success!
Our event will feature entry by donation, a Farmers Market in the morning, plenty of competitive sections in a range of agricultural and arts areas, livestock displays, activities for kids, and a BBQ dinner.
ENTER COMPETITIVE SECTIONS: Pre-register your entries for the various competitive sections by filling out the entry form available at the Library, Pender Island Realty Ltd. community drop box, or at the Farmers' Market each Saturday between 9:30 am and 1:00 pm at the Community Hall. Registration will be available the day before the Fair as well between 3 and 6 pm.
VOLUNTEER: Want to volunteer? We have tons of opportunities to volunteer! Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll find a job for you. Teens and youths can volunteer as well. Bring a friend and gain some work experience! Reference letters will be given to youths for their work.
DONATE: We appreciate any donations in the way of monetary funds, services, or prizes. Please contact email@example.com or find us at the Farmers' Market at the Community Hall on Saturdays between 9:30 am and 1:00 pm.
Questions? Any other questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or find a Farmers' Institute staff or Board Member at the Farmers' Market on Saturdays at the Community Hall between 9:30 am and 1:00 pm.
NEEDLECRAFT & FIBRE ARTConvener: Janet Blakeley, 629-3445 Articles must be handknitted unless otherwise stated. All quilts larger than 36” x 48” must have a minimum 4” deep sleeve across the back for hanging. All bed-sized quilts, must be pre-registered.*
CLASS SEWING DIVISION
- Child’s garment, size 2 to12
- Adult garment
- Functional item (e.g. cushion, table runner, etc.)
- Any other sewn item
- Quilt, machine quilted by individual
- Quilt, hand quilted by individual
- Quilt, sewn by individual, commercially quilted
- Baby or lap quilt, any size
- First quilt, any size
- Quilt, combined techniques (i.e. crazy quilting, embroidery, embellishment, etc.)
- Quilted functional item
- Canvas work, needlepoint, grospoint, hardanger or other counted threadwork
- Multi-coloured and one colour embroidery
- Machine embroidery, any article
- Child’s garment, size 2 to 12
- Adult cardigan or pullover, plain
- Adult cardigan or pullover, fancy
- Baby garment, cardigan or pullover
- Pair of socks or gloves
- Knitted fulled item
- Any other hand knitted article
- Child’s garment, size 2 to 12
- Crocheted article in wool or synthetic
- Cotton article
- Any other crocheted item
- Hand-felted functional object
- Hand-felted decorative article
BEAD WORK DIVISION
- Bead work, using sewing techniques
TOYS & ORNAMENTS DIVISION
- Child’s toy
- Collectible doll or ornament
- Teddy bear
SPINNING & WEAVING DIVISION
- Spinning: 2 or more plies, any fibre.
- Spinning: singles, any fibre.
- Spinning: article handspun and made by entrant.
- Weaving: table linens or towels.
- Weaving: wearables, e.g.. scarf, clothing. Item must be woven and constructed by entrant.
- Weaving: any other woven article.
WEARABLE ART DIVISION
- Item of Wearable Art
- Rug making, A.V.
- Any other needle or textile art not listed
- Work in Progress - any unfinished needlework or fibreart project with an explanation as to why it is not finished! This article will be judged on the quality of the work and the originality of the excuses. Please note that the articles, name of creator and stories will all be displayed.
- New! Make your own pattern and then knit it.
- New! Make your own pattern and then crochet it.
- New! First completed project in knitting or crocheting.
Judging StandardsFor specific technique standards see the BC Fairs Judging Standards Manual. In general, the criteria for judging textiles are as follows:
- General appearance .......................... 25%
- Material ............................................ 15%
- Quality of work ............................. 60%
CLASS YEAST BREADS DIVISION – Pender Island Bakery Trophy for most points Class 1-6
- White bread
- Whole wheat bread
- Yeast bread, A.O.V.
- French bread
- Bread rolls, savoury or sweet, 6
- Cinnamon rolls, 6
QUICK BREADS DIVISION
- Loaf or cake
- Muffins, A.V., 6
- Biscuits or scones, A.V., 6
- Soda bread
PIES AND PASTRY DIVISION
- Pie, dessert or sweet, covered or lattice, A.V.
- Pie, open, A.V.
- Tarts, A.V., 6
- Lemon meringue pie
- Savoury or meat pie, including quiche
- Sausage rolls, 6
- Pastries, A.V., 4
COOKIES, BARS AND SQUARES DIVISION
- Cookies, A.V., 6
- Shortbread, 6 (should not be decorated)
- Chocolate brownies, 6
- Nanaimo bars, 6, A.V.
- Squares, 6, A.V.
CAKES DIVISIONCakes must be 8” x 8” or 9” x 9” square, or 9” diameter. except for decorated cake.
- Cake, un-iced, A.V.*
- Chocolate layer cake
- Un-iced carrot cake*
- Cup cakes, iced, 3
- Coffeecake, A.V.
- Cheesecake, A.V.
- Decorated cake (cake will not be judged)
- Heritage Recipe, A.V., must be at least 50 years old (hand written or typed recipe to be displayed with entry)
HEALTH WATCHERS’ BAKING DIVISIONRecipes need to be suitable for those with diabetic, low fat, low cholesterol or other special dietary needs. Hand written or typed recipe to be displayed with entry.
- Health bread (with yeast)
- Quick Bread/Loaf or Muffins, 6, A.V.
- Fruit crisp or crumble
YOUNG PEOPLES DIVISIONMust be 11-15 years of age on the day of the fair No commercial mixes
- Muffins, 6
- Best decorative iced cake
- Best un-iced cake
CHILDREN’S DIVISIONMust be 6-10 years of age on the day of the fair
- Cookies, 6
- Muffins, 6
- Iced cake (no commercial mix) Place ribbons will be awarded
- General appearance ........................... 30%
- Internal appearance or ...................... 30%
- Flavour/odour .................................... 40%
CLASS ADULT DIVISION
- a) without added pectin Blackberry jam,8oz or 250 ml or b) with added pectin
- a) without added pectin Plum jam, 8 oz or 250 ml or b) with added pectin
- a) without added pectin Strawberry jam, 8 oz or 250 ml or b) with added pectin
- a) without added pectin Jam from berries, A.O.V., 8 oz or 250 ml or b) with added pectin
- a) without added pectin Jam from pitted fruit, A.O.V., 8 oz or 250 ml or b) with added pectin
- a) without added pectin Jam, A.O.V., 8 oz or 250 ml or b) with added pectin
- a) without added pectin Blackberry jelly, 8 oz or 250 ml or b) with added pectin
- a) without added pectin Jelly, sweet, A.O.V., 8 oz or 250 ml or b) with added pectin
- a) without added pectin Jelly, savoury, A.V. 8 0z or 250 ml or b) with added pectin
- Fruit Butter, 8 oz or 250 ml
- Citrus Marmalade, 8 oz or 250 ml
- Applesauce, pint or 500 ml
- *Dried Fruit, 3 each of two varieties*
- Chutney, A.V., 8 oz or 250 ml
- Relish, A.V., 8 oz or 250 ml
- Mustard pickles, pint or 500 ml
- Sweet mixed pickles, pint or 500 ml
- Dill pickles, quart or litre
- Pickled onions, pint or 500 ml
- Bread and butter pickles, pint or 500 ml
- Pickled beets, pint or 500 ml
- Pickled vegetables, A.O.V., pint or 500 ml
- Apple juice, pint or 500 ml
- Juice, A.O.V., pint or 500 ml
- *Honey, minimum 4 oz or 100 ml*
- Mincemeat, regular, 8 oz or 250 ml
- Mincemeat, A.O.V., 8 oz or 250 ml
- *Herb Oil, pint or 500 ml*
- *Flavoured vinegar, pint or 500 ml*
- Salsa, A.V., 8 oz or 250 ml
- Antipasto, 8 oz or 250 ml
- Bottled tomatoes, quart or litre
- Bottled fruit, A.O.V., quart or litre
- Bottled peaches, A.V. quart or litre
- Bottled salmon, 8 oz or 250 ml
- Bottled fish, A.O.V., 8 oz or 250 ml
- Bottled vegetable, A.O.V., quart or litre
- Bottled meat, A.O.V., quart or litre
- *Smoked fish, A.V. 4-6 oz or 100-200 gr*
- *Smoked meat, A.V. 4-6 oz or 100-200 gr*
YOUNG PEOPLES DIVISIONExhibitors must be 15 years old and under on the day of the fair
- a) without added pectin Jam or, jelly, A.V. 8 oz or 250 ml or b) with added pectin
- a) without added pectin *Freezer jam, thawed, A.V. 8 oz or 250 ml* or b) with added pectin
- Applesauce, pint or 500 ml
- Pickled vegetables, A.V. pint or 500 ml
- *Herb Oil, pnt or 500 ml*
- Sea-salt, Pender Island, plain or seasoned - NEW CATEGORY
- Appearance: sealed, packed, labeled, jar size 50%
- Colour ............................................... 10%
- Texture ............................................ 10%
- Flavour ............................................. 30%