Come to the Fair!
Everyone is Welcome!
Admission by donation (suggested $5)
Come and take part –
- Agricultural and rural arts exhibits
- Children’s exhibits
- Raffle and door prizes
- Games for young at heart
- Berry pie contest
- Parade to the Grounds!
- Farmers’ Market -made, baked or grown for you since 1978!
- Beef BBQ and Vegetarian chili with baked potato and corn on the cob!
- Beer garden (10am-7:30) with proceeds supporting the Community Hall
- Salmon burgers, sushi, hot dogs
- Ice cream and pie
- Displays and demonstrations
- Family dance after dinner
Be entertained –
- Live music – Bagpipes, violins, guitars, jazz, blues and folk and roving busking musicians!
- Livestock Showcase highlighting all the farm animals raised on the islands, Salt Spring 4-H Club with 4-H members from Salt Spring and Pender Island, and more….
- Sheep to Shawl – Sheep Shearing with world class shearer Pieter DeMooy and the spinning of the same wool minutes after by Diana Kempe!
- Guest Speaker – Ellen Willingham – local food advocate, organic farmer, long time fall fair organizer and volunteer, and long time former President of the Farmers Institute
Schedule of Events August 27th
Master of Ceremonies – Bruce McConchie
9:30…. Farmers’ Market opens
BBQ ($10) and Raffle Tickets on Sale at the Information Booth
10:30…Parade to the Grounds
11:10 …Pender Highlanders Pipe Band – in front of Stage
11:30…Denny Goertz and Pender Young Violins – Stage
12:15…Sheep Shearing and Wool Spinning Demonstration, Livestock Showcase, 4-H Showmanship – Show Ring
1:45…Guest of Honour – Stage – Ellen Willingham
2:15…Corn Shucking – field behind BBQ
2:15 Live Music – Guitarist Bill Heintz – Stage
3:15…Tribute to Danny Martin –followed by Berry Pie Contest – Stage
3:45…Trophy Presentations and Door and Raffle Prize winners announced – Stage
4:00..Exhibits may be removed now
4:15…Live Music – Pages from the Oak Tree- Folk/Blues/Jazz
5:00…Barbecue is served
6:30…Family Dance to Marc’s DJ Music
There is free parking in the farm field next to the fairgrounds – at Valley Home Farm
The RCMP have requested that there be no parking along the roadway for safety reasons
The Community Bus will be available for the Fair! To arrange for a ride, call in advance 629-6919
If you drive, please carpool
No dogs are allowed on the grounds Fair day. There is no doggie day-care this year. Please leave your pets at home. Thank you.
The Fair will feature Admission by Donation (suggested donation $5), a Farmers Market in the morning (some vendors will stay for the day), plenty of competitive sections in a range of agricultural and arts areas, livestock displays, activities for kids, music and a BBQ dinner.
ENTER COMPETITIVE SECTIONS: Pre-register your entries for the various competitive sections by filling out the entry form available at the Library, Pender Island Realty Ltd. community drop box, or at the Farmers’ Market each Saturday between 9:30 am and 1:00 pm at the Community Hall. Registration will be available the day before the Fair as well between 3 and 6 pm. We have sections of the catalogue printed out for you convenience, or entire catalogues for the ambitious! Want a catalogue emailed to you? We can do that.
VOLUNTEER: Want to volunteer? We have tons of opportunities to volunteer! Just send an email to email@example.com and we’ll find a job for you. Teens and youths can volunteer as well. Bring a friend and gain some work experience! Reference letters will be given to youths for their work.
DONATE: We appreciate any donations in the way of monetary funds, services, or prizes. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or find us at the Farmers’ Market at the Community Hall on Saturdays between 9:30 am and 1:00 pm.
Questions? Any other questions can be directed to email@example.com or Barb at the Farmers’ Market on Saturdays at the Community Hall between 9:30 am and 1:00 pm. There is a Farmers’ Market booth at the front of the market every Saturday, with catalogues, entry forms, sign up sheets and a donation box. We would love to see you!